Dehydrator Dog Treats Recipe
One of the latest kitchen gadgets to become popular is the food dehydrator. Food dehydrators can give foods a crispy, crunchy feel. But, without all the fat of frying.
While many people think about making jerky when you use a food dehydrator, you can make dog treats too! And what better way to give your dog a healthy reward than with homemade dog treats.
Table of Contents
Dehydrator Dog Treats
Your dog will love these dog treats and they are so super easy to make in the dehydrator.
If you do not cook bacon and save bacon grease, you can use any tasty substitute. It might sound fattening and unhealthy to have bacon fat in a recipe. However, this is just a small amount that is dispersed over 70 cookies. On a ‘per dog treat’ basis, the amount used is small.
Still, cooking and saving bacon grease is something not many people do anymore. I do, as I learned it from my grandmother. But, if you do not, consider using butter instead.
What I do not recommend is using margarine. Many “fake butters” contain manmade chemicals that may not be safe for dogs.
And, everyone loves the smell of bacon cooking, right? Ok, maybe not vegans. But, if you are cooking bacon, it likely will result in having a pesky dog at your feet. I would resist the temptation to give them some bacon. A little bit of bacon mixed in with other ingredients is fine.
Eating a serving of bacon by itself may result in gastrointestinal upset. And no one wants that!
Choosing a Food Dehydrator
Your food dehydrator does not have to be expensive of top of the line. Many of them are quite affordable.
- Note: THE BPA-FREE TRAYS ARE FRAGILE! Please contact us for support if you receive broken trays or cause trays broken, WE FREELY DELIVERY NEW TRAYS IN LIFE TIME!
- 【Ensure Fresh & Nutrients】- Dehydrators retain valuable dietary enzymes, as well as ensure the food is fresh and keep all its nutrients. But other appliances designed to cook hot, like oven and air fryer, actually destroy them! Besides, dehydrator cooks evenly with proper airflow and temperature, just set time & temp, minimal supervision required than other appliances. Overall, a dehydrator ensures best dehydrating!
- 【Energy Saving】- Only 240 watts! Super energy saving and enviromentally friendly. Efficient 360° air flow circulation system distributes heat evenly, quickly and pulls moisture out of the food for optimal drying. Never worry about making a mess again.
- 【Safe & Durable】- Equipped with automatic shutoff and overheat protection which guarantee safe even when you are sleeping or not at home. The ETL listed meat dehydrator machine includes key safety features. All materials are Culinary-Grade and BPA-FREE, which also ensure the high quality and long service life.
- 【Precise Temp & Time Setting】- The dehydrators for food and jerky features adjustable timer and temp functions. Select the accurate time and temp dehydrates various foods. Drying them can be set 95℉-158℉(35℃-70℃), while the cooking time can be set 1-72 hours. Minimal supervision required!
So, here you go, the easy DIY dehydrator dog treats. I hope your dog enjoys them as much as ours did!
Dehydrator Dog Treats
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup bacon grease
- 3 tbsp peanut butter, smooth or crunchy
- 4 eggs
- In a medium-sized bowl combine eggs, bacon grease, and banana. Bacon grease can be liquid or solid.
- Add in flour, cornmeal, oats, and peanut butter. Mix until thick like cookie batter. Add additional flour if needed.
- Flour board and roll dough to 1/4” thick. Use cookie cutters to cut shapes.
- Place treat dough on dehydrator mats, spaced out so they aren't touching. The dough will not spread.
- Set the dehydrator to 145° and check at 8 hours.
- Store treats in an airtight container at room temperature or in the freezer, or store them in mylar bags for the long term. Make sure to label them!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 34Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g