Read our method for how to apply coconut oil to dog skin so it doesn’t end up greasy. You will learn five different ways to use or apply coconut oil to your dog. This guide will talk about the dosage required for treating any underlying issues that your dog may be suffering from.
How to apply coconut oil to dog skin
You might not have realized you can put coconut oil on dogs. It really helps their skin. Below is a simple method for applying it to a dog’s skin.
Table of Contents
- Take a small amount of the best coconut oil in your palm.
- Rub a small amount of coconut oil onto your fingers, gently pat its coat, and run through its fur.
- Now massage them a little bit into their skin using your fingers.
- Now let the oil absorb for about 2 to 5 minutes approx.
- If you feel excess oil on the skin, then finish up with a light application of shampoo.
- Gradually, from time to time, increase the amount of coconut oil you use to give to your dog.
Do I have to rinse coconut oil off my dog?
Only if your dog’s fur ends up greasy. I suggest only using small amounts of coconut oil on your dog’s fur to avoid it becoming greasy. If you apply too much coconut oil you can wash it off with a gentle dog shampoo.
Best coconut oil for dogs
It is important to know that unrefined coconut oil is the best solution for treating any microbial issues underlying your dog. Crude coconut oil is also known as virgin coconut oil.
Always look for cold-pressed oil because that will be the best option for your dog’s skin, ears, and paws. I have been using coconut oil for any hot spot or itchy dry skin because it is a great natural moisturizer for dogs. It is 100% virgin coconut oil, perfect for dogs’ skin and coats.
7 Uses Of Coconut Oil For Dogs
If you have been wondering what coconut oil does for dogs, then here are seven uses or ways for how you can use coconut oil on dogs effectively.
1. Coconut oil for dog skin allergies
If your dog is suffering from any skin allergy or infection, you can always use coconut oil in a very effective way to help your dog, but always consult with a vet. Most veterinarians also recommend different types of pet-safe essential oils substituted with coconut oil to help with different skin allergies and infections.
2. Coconut oil for dog paws
You can apply some coconut oil to your dog’s sore paws. They’ll love the extra moisturizing benefits of coconut oil.
3. Coconut oil for dog’s teeth
Coconut oil works great for dogs’ teeth and gums. If you are looking for a toothpaste that has an average amount of antimicrobial properties to brush your dog’s teeth, then you are in the right place because coconut oil can also be used for brushing dogs’ teeth. The antimicrobial properties of coconut oil make it a delicious and natural way to clean your dog’s teeth.
4. Coconut oil for dog’s ears
If your dog is suffering from any itchiness or bacteria or mites in their ears, then applying a small amount of coconut oil each day will help clear up any infection and kill the mites.
5. Coconut oil for dog’s bad breath
If your dog is suffering from bad breath, it is guaranteed that the bacteria present in their mouth prevent them from refreshing the nutty smell. However, applying some coconut oil in their toothpaste or directly in their mouth will help them fight bacteria and refresh their mouth as soon as possible.
6. Coconut oil for dog’s infected eyes
Eyes, first of all, it is entirely safe and will not cause stingy or burning feelings. If your dog is suffering from any kind of disease in their eyes or infected eyes, then you can always apply a few drops of melted coconut oil directly in their eyes to relieve them from the stress of pain. Always inquire with your vet before giving your dog coconut oil in their eyes.
7. Coconut oil for dog’s fleas
It may prevent your dog from getting infected by any kind of ectoparasites like fleas, mites, and ticks. Tests and surveys have already shown that coconut oil can quickly eliminate this kind of pest in dogs that have already been infected.
Coconut oil for dogs: how much to give
The optimal dose of coconut oil for a dog is about one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. After a few initial small doses of coconut oil, you can gradually increase it.
At first, you must provide only 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil daily to any small breed dog or 15 ml / 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to any big dog and then gradually increase the amount accordingly after observing if your dog tolerates it after a few weeks.
If you notice that your dog is doing well after two to three weeks, then you can comfortably and conveniently increase the dose to around one teaspoon per 10 pounds of their body weight.
|Dog Weight||Coconut Oil Dosage|
|10 Pounds – 25 Pounds||1 – 2.5 teaspoon|
|30 Pounds – 45 Pounds||3 – 4.5 teaspoon|
|50 Pounds – 75 Pounds||5 – 7.5 teaspoon|
21 Benefits of coconut oil for dogs
Is coconut oil good for dogs? We have 21 ways that dogs benefit from coconut oil.
- Dogs with aggressive odors or foul odors can use coconut oil to help minimize their odor.
- Coconut oil reduces allergic reactions.
- With the help of coconut oil, you can create a glossy sleek coat for your dog.
- By using coconut oil, you can help with Eczema.
- Coconut oil promotes any kind of wound healing quickly.
- Coconut oil can help with any type of dry skin or hair.
- Coconut oil can be used in treating hotspots, stings, and bites.
- Coconut oil is consumed to improve digestion.
- Coconut oil can also help with inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis.
- Coconut oil increases a dog’s nutrient absorption ability.
- Toothpaste with coconut oil can eliminate or reduce bad breath.
- Coconut oil also helps with coughing.
- Dogs with extra weight can take the help of coconut oil because it can assist with weight loss.
- Coconut oil is an excellent antibacterial as well as an antifungal agent.
- Coconut oil can help promote regular insulin function. Always consult with your vet.
- Coconut oil helps in increasing energy.
- Coconut oil constantly improves the metabolism of your dog.
- It also helps in speed healing.
- Coconut oil can be used in treating fleas and mites.
- Coconut oil can be used for dogs’ teeth to improve any kind of dental problem and gum disease.
- Coconut oil can be used on dogs’ paws to reduce soreness.
Is coconut oil safe for dogs?
Many researchers have shown that coconut oil is entirely safe for dogs to eat or have on their teeth, skin, paws, and fur. Let me tell you the antimicrobial effect of coconut oil can help treat any skin allergy.
It has also been observed that some breeds of dogs also have or suffer from allergic reactions to any supplements substituted with coconut oil. Also, giving a large amount of coconut oil in the diet can result in diarrhea.
So you should also avoid applying or feeding them too much coconut oil. Otherwise, it can give you an adverse effect. Other than that, it is also recommended never to feed or provide coconut oil to dogs who are suffering from pancreatitis because it can also increase the risk of storing high-fat content in their body.
Side effects of coconut oil for dogs
- Feeding too much coconut oil to your dog can increase the chances of diarrhea as well as crazy stools.
- A considerable amount of coconut oil applied on the skin will leave their coat and fur unpleasant and look unnatural as well as undesirable.
- Some dog breeds may have an allergic reaction to coconut oil so so be cautious.
Can I Leave Coconut Oil On My Dog?
Yes, you can leave coconut oil on your dog in a small amount as it is very effective in treating any kind of skin and coat problem.
Can We Apply Coconut Oil On Dog’s Fur?
Yes, applying coconut oil to a dog’s fur will help it look more naturally shiny.
Can I Put Coconut Oil On My Dogs Paws?
Yes, you can put coconut oil on your dog’s paws to help reduce soreness and any stingy feeling.
Do I Have To Rinse Coconut Oil Off My Dog?
Not always, when you observe an extra amount of coconut oil on their skin after a few minutes of application, you can rinse it off after applying the mild amount of shampoo.
Can I Leave Coconut Oil On My Dog Overnight?
Yes, you can leave coconut oil on your dog overnight if the application of the coconut oil is in a generous or mild around.
How Long Do You Leave Coconut Oil On A Dog To Kill Fleas?
You must leave it for at least 8 hours and then wash it or rinse it off using an excellent natural pet shampoo.
Is Coconut Oil Good For Dogs Skin?
Coconut oil is an excellent antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral, making it an excellent moisturizer for dogs’ skin.
What Are The Common Side Effects Of Coconut Oil?
When given excessive coconut oil to dogs, the common side effects will be continuous diarrhea and stooling.
Can I Give Coconut Oil To My Dog every day?
You can give a small dose of coconut oil according to your dog every day and then gradually increase the amount of coconut oil after observing the reaction of the effect of the oil on your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Coconut Oil?
There are many benefits of giving coconut oil to dogs but only when given in a small amount. An excess amount of coconut oil will result in diarrhea. A dog can eat coconut oil to improve its digestion as well as body function.