Pet strollers for medium dogs
Have you been searching through the many products online trying to find the best dog strollers for medium dogs that you can use? Our guide shares the top 5 strollers to use for medium-sized dogs.
We have searched the web, tested, and listed only the best strollers that your dog will love to ride in.
Table of Contents
Many might say that strollers are a fad for crazy dog parents, but the truth is they improve your dog’s life if they have mobility issues.
Apart from that, dog strollers are also helpful for dogs who want to explore the outside but can’t because of health problems or injuries. Acquiring one for your dog will help them stroll without experiencing any pain.
Also, they can be of great importance for those dogs who experience anxiety issues when walking on a leash.
Whichever the case, choosing the right pet stroller for medium dogs’ unique needs is vital. Don’t be fooled and use your old baby stroller – they’re not safe for your dog.
Are dog strollers a good idea?
Most dogs prefer walking by alongside you rather than being wheeled on a stroller. For that, you need to understand why and when you should have your pooch in a stroller.
From our experience, dog strollers are great for:
- Injured/Disabled dogs: These dogs may have a difficult time keeping up with outings. Whether your dog just came out of surgery, is lacking energy, or is injured, it is undeniable that you need to find it a stroller.
- Sick dogs
- Unvaccinated puppies
- Small dogs: We also found out that dog strollers are ideal for small dogs that may get underfoot when taken out to crowded places. Also, puppies that may get tired during walks deserve a dog stroller.
- Brachycephalic breeds: Strollers are best suitable for dog breeds that don’t do well in hot weather conditions like Boston Terriers.
- Aging/Old dogs: If your dog is old and can’t keep up with your pace or other dog’s pace when you go for walks then you might consider getting it a stroller.
Choosing the right dog stroller
There are a few things that you need to consider when choosing the right dog stroller for your dog.
- Consider the size and weight of your dog: Examine the size and weight elements of your dog. You need to ensure that the cabin is spacious enough for your dog to fit. To add, the stroller should be strong enough to hold your dog’s weight.
- Smooth ride wheels: This is important because different stroller wheels are designed to be used in different activities. Air tires are suitable for long, bumpy rides while solid plastic tires are ideal for shorter, easy rides.
- Protective top cover: They are great if you’re strolling in a sunny or rainy place. You need to ensure that your dog stroller has a closable hood. Top covers will also protect your dog from jumping out of the stroller.
- Airflow vs Staying Dry: You need to be mindful of the amount of air your dog will need when in a stroller. This is because some come with a mesh hood that allows for adequate air circulation whereas others have plastic planes. We recommend dog strollers with mesh hoods.
- Folding strollers: It is important to buy a stroller that is foldable for easy storage or transport because some are quite bulky.
- Safety features: Does it have hand breaks?
With these factors in mind, here are our top picks:
Best Dog Strollers for Medium Dogs
1. Pet Gear No-Zip Happy Trails Lite Pet Stroller
Pet Gear No-Zip Stroller tops our list because it has all dog stroller basics needs. We’ve listed it in this roundup because it has no zip but comes with an easy-locking latch -the most innovative feature in modern day pet strollers. This is crucial as your dog will not get its fur snagged.
The fact that it comes with shock absorbers on the front wheels is just amazing as your dog will be in total comfort even on bumpy terrains.
Being foldable and weighing just 11.5 pounds, this dog stroller can be carried or transported from point to point without any hustle. With its size of 22 x 10 x 19 inches, it is suitable for dogs weighing up to 70 lbs.
2. 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer
These dog strollers happen to be the best if you want to take your dog on a walk in bumpy areas. With its inflatable three tires, similar to a bicycle wheel, this 2-in-1 pet stroller is made for jogging. We’ve listed it in this roundup because you can hitch it on a bike and pull it.
The only difference with the first stroller is that this one lacks cup holders and storage but that shouldn’t affect your buying decision if you’re pulling your dog behind your bike. It comes with a convenient, built-in hand-lock brake system so you don’t have to worry about your dog’s safety when pulling it.
Despite it’s strong look, it can only carry a dog weighing 66lbs only.
3. Pet Gear No-Zip Double Pet Stroller
Pet Gear No-Zip Double Stroller is a high-end stroller suitable for pet parents with a need to get out with two dogs. We loved how spacious it is and how it provides a great viewing experience for your dogs.
This fine stroller has 12 inches of gel-filled tires that allow for smooth rides due to its shock-absorbing ability. We also liked the idea to incorporate a quick-locking rear foot brake which guarantees the safety of the two furry friends in it.
Despite being somewhat expensive, it is a high-quality stroller that is made for the long haul to serve you for long.
4. Ibiyaya Multifunction Pet Carrier + Backpack + Car Seat + Stroller
If you have dogs that need regular wheeled assistance then Ibiyaya Multifunction Pet Carrier + Backpack + Car Seat + Stroller is the right dog stroller you should try adding to your bucket list.
Being a 5-in-1 stroller you might think that it is un-foldable but that’s not the case here. It folds down to a remarkably small size.
Multifunctionality is a winning feature that has pushed us to add it to our list. Compared to other pet strollers we’ve listed, Ibiyaya Multifunction Wheeled Carrier can be converted into a backpack, carry-on roller bag, pet car seat, or dog stroller.
5. Paws & Pals Double Pet Stroller – Best for 2 Small/Medium Size Dogs
Are you a twin dog parent who’s been looking for a double pet stroller but have been running out of options for the best dog stroller for your two dogs? Worry no more because the Paws & Pals Double Pet Stroller is your ultimate game-changer.
This Twin 4-Wheel Stroller is able to withstand the weight of 2 dogs weighing up to 33 lbs.
It is super lightweight, and its 360-degree front wheel rotation makes maneuvering an easier task. It looks big but it folds up flat for easy storage and transportation.